Legitimate clay hair products list bentonite or kaolin as a primary ingredient. The other elements are likely to be water-based or petroleum oil-based. They do not (and should not) contain any artificial additives or carriers. However, hair clays may contain mineral oil or petrolatum as an extra ingredient. Keep reading as we’ll explain away hair clay to you and how useful it is for your daily grooming routine.
Moulding Your Hairstyle
This is great for messy, textured hairstyles. Clay maintains a medium hold and a matte finish, so you can put it in your hair as it grows out damp and let it dry naturally into place.
Also, clays are great for making touch-ups easy on you, allowing you to run your fingers through your hair. This is great for those who don't want their hair to be too stiff or "locked-in" after applying it.
Use This Much Clay
The amount of hair clay you should use varies from product to product and depends on your hair thickness and hair type.
We'd always say with hair styling products, such as hairspray and hair clay, to start with a small pea-sized amount and add more if you feel you need it. It is easier to add product than take it away, so start with a small amount!
The Best Kinds
The best hair clay will depend on your hair type and style, as with most hair products. Search the internet to find various products and then narrow them down based on your preferences. Don't be afraid to speak with your barber, as they can give you recommendations for a great product.
Use Clay-Based Hair Products in This Order
- Prep your crowning glory: When working a clay hair product into your hair, the best technique is to use a blow dryer to prepare your hair beforehand. Prep the hair with a hairdryer to create texture or add volume to your desired style.
A blow dryer is also helpful in creating the right amount of heat needed to work the clay product into your hair.
- Get a pea-sized amount: If your hair is longer and thicker than the average person’s, you’ll probably need more conditioner than someone with thinner, shorter hair, but start small, and you can always add more later on when needed!
- Warm it: Rub the clay vigorously in the hands. Spend around five to ten seconds rubbing the clays together to spread the sauce evenly in both hands and get it warm.
- Apply thoroughly on hair: Place the product in your hand and rub it into your scalp. Starting from the back, work slowly up through the hair. When you reach the front, start from the roots and work your way up. Try not to miss any spots because this won't give you a neat look. Don't worry about getting it tidy at this stage; just ensure that you cover all your hair.
- Fix and finish: If you are happy with the overall shape of your hairstyle, you can now spend time styling it by braiding or twisting pieces. You can brush, run fingers through your hair, or use a texturising spray if you want to add some texture.
- Apply more, if needed: If you still feel like your hair needs more hold, then apply more product and repeat steps two to five.
Get Your Hair Products in Australia from No. 113
Clay-based hair products maintain your hair’s desired style and shape in just five (or six) easy steps throughout the day. Just be sure you warm it up and apply it throughout your locks properly while also ensuring they contain bentonite or kaolin to get the hold you like!
Purchase clay-based hair products in Australia from No. 113 today! We are haircare reimagined, designing hair solutions that deliver on performance, longevity, protection, and provision! Join our newsletter and get your free tote bag and your first order!